Saturday, November 7, 2009

Grumbling and Complaining

A couple of years ago, my two-year old son was in the kitchen with me while I was cutting an apple into smaller pieces for him to eat. He was standing there saying, "Apple, Apple, Apple" so I finally got a piece cut and gave it to him. He replied, "Thank you" and starts eating it, but it's not long before he is begging for another piece. I proceed to cut up half of the apple into small pieces, gave it to him and set the other half aside so I can take a couple of bites of cereal for myself. My son then begins to kick his feet and throw his hands in true two-year-old fashion yelling, "Mine, Mine" as he points to the half of apple that I put to the side. I then tell him to eat the pieces he already has and assure him that when he is finished with that, I will give him more. This reminded me of a group of people in the Old Testament that could never be happy or thankful for a long period of time. I often wonder how the Israelites could doubt God when they saw so many miracles like the parting of the red sea, water from a rock, among others under Moses' hands. Then I move just a chapter or two forward and you find them grumbling and complaining all over again about God's lack of provisions. We as Christians tend to act like that with God. We beg and beg or pray and pray for something and God chooses to give us a little of His great wealth of blessings. Instead of taking what He gives, which is always sufficient for what we need, we complain because He is still holding the other half of the apple. What do you have to be thankful about? What has God given you? Enjoy today by just being thankful for the provisions He has poured out and the miracles He has already done. I am pretty sure He has another piece of apple to give you as soon as you have enjoyed the ones you already have.

Hebrews 13:5 -"Let your conversation be without covetousness and be content with such things as ye have, for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."
Psalm 84:11 -"For the Lord God is a sun and shield, the Lord will give grace and glory, no good thing will be withhold from them that walk uprightly."
I Thessalonians 5:16-18 -"Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
See also; Philipians 2: 13-15 and 4:6.

No comments:

Post a Comment