Saturday, October 31, 2009

Learning to Love

Sometimes I just hate when a song gets stuck in my head, especially if it is a song I did not care for in the first place, but lately, the words to the song "Follow You" by the Christian band Leeland keep going through my head. "I'll follow you into the homes that are broken, Follow you into the world." As I continue to ponder on the words, I began to turn them into a cry to God. My hearts desire is for God to use me to minister to others leading me into places where I can see his power transform broken lives.
God has also brought me to think on the verse in I Timothy, "Give me charity out of a pure heart". I struggle, as I am sure you do as well, with loving others without wrong motives. I prejudge others as worthy or unworthy without even totally knowing what I am doing. Why can't I love others like my three year old does? When he sees someone he does not know, he instantly says "Hey", a greeting filled with acceptance. I long to have this pure attitude towards others but at the end of the day, I feel more like Paul when he says the things I want to do, I don't and the things I don't want to do, I do.
It is when these two thoughts collided that God said to me, How can you go into the homes of the broken to minister change if your heart is not full of pure love and acceptance? Jesus is our example, he did not condemn the women at the well or the women that was about to be stoned for her sexual sins. He looked on them with love and acceptance, knowing fully all of their sins. O Father, fill me with your spirit's power to love as you love, to see others as you see, to approach people with acceptance like a child. Help me see others' pain. Help me have courage to grab a hold of them and lead them to you. I challenge you this Sunday look around you and find someone who is hurting and lead them to the alter to pray with a spirit of love and acceptance.
I Peter 1:22 -"Seeing you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned (genuine) love of the brethren, see that you love one another with a pure heart fervently."
I Timothy 1:5 -"Now the end (goal) of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned."
See also John 4 and John 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment