Saturday, November 14, 2009

God's Presence

My soon to be four year old son is all boy. He runs from place to place usually away from me. He runs round and round the table, the car, or anything else he can get between us. I do not desire to chase him around in circles and, believe me he gets his fair punishment when I finally catch him, but it is of great frustration to me in the moment when I can not relay the seriousness of disobedience. Usually, the easiest way for me to end this cat and mouse game is for me to simply walk away and say "Okay, I am leaving you" and start to go forward, get in the car or go in the house, leaving him behind. He immediately stops his running, looks around to see if I am serious, then runs after me saying, "No, wait Mom don't leave me." He is genuinely scared that I just may do that one day.
The first part of Exodus 33 describes this vary situation. The prior chapter ends with God sending a plague to the Israelites as punishment for the sin of making and worshipping the golden calf. God is still angry with them for their disobedience. He tells Moses I will still give them the land I have promised them but you go on without me. He feared in his righteous anger He just may consume them all together. He was saying I am tired of chasing you. You go in the way of your choice, but I am not going with you. The Israelites, faced with the knowledge of God leaving them behind immediately began to mourn and repent. Moses pleaded with God that His presence not leave them and God granted Moses' request. Is God getting tired of chasing you? Are you tired of running? He wants a personal relationship with you. One based on love. He will not force it on us. He wants willing hearts to follow Him. I pray His presence never leaves me because of my disobedience. I can't imagine my life without Him. How about you?
Exodus 33:3-4- "Go up to a land flowing with milk and honey; for I will not go up in your midst, lest I consume you on the way, for you are a stiff-necked people. And when the people heard this bad news, they mourned....."
Exodus 33:15- "Then he said to Him, "If your presence does not go with us, do not bring us up from here."

No comments:

Post a Comment