Thursday, September 24, 2009

Got Joy?

Can you picture joy? What comes to mind? No, really stop and think of a mental picture of joy. Here are a couple of my ideas: a fountain, spring, something overflowing or bubbling up. I have always heard the acronym for J-O-Y is Jesus, Others and You. I would like to suggest a different one as being Jesus Overflowing in You. It is when you are so full of Jesus that you can not help but pour out joy on others. The old song says "Peace like a river, Joy like a fountain". It is something that springs forth not just a slow leak. Joy comes from the inside out, not from circumstances but often in spite of circumstances. Jesus is the source of real joy. Sitting in His presence daily through Bible study and prayer is the only thing that can produce this joy. God wants us to be fountains of pure joy bubbling over onto others, not a trickle of dirty water from a life filled with gunk. When we let other non-holy things start to fill up our spout we eventually begin to spue forth anger or frustration, often on the ones that have nothing to do with the problem. We become like a recreational vehicles' waste valve, when enough pressure is applied, nothing but bad stuff comes out. Nicole Johnson has stated that "Joy catches us off guard. It is a response that wells up in our hearts from love." Any mom or grandma knows what this statement is all about. Are you in love with Jesus? The more in love you become with Him and His Word, the more unexpected joy will overflow in your life. Want pure joy? Spend time with Jesus.
Psalm 16:11- "You will show me the path of life. In your presence is fullness of joy...."
John 15:9-11- "As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you: abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. These things have I spoken unto you, that My joy may remain in you and that your joy may be full."

No comments:

Post a Comment