Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Accessorizing to the Max...

My ten-year old daughter loves Claire's. Claire's is a mall chain store that has everything you ever thought of to accessorize any outfit from handbags, to shoes, to necklaces and earrings of all colors, shapes, and sizes. She received a gift card for her birthday and can not wait to spend it. This shopping adventure came to mind while I was reading in the book of I Timothy when I came across the word adorn. Claire's is the perfect adorning shop for a modern day outfit, but I Timothy 2 says that we should,as women adorn ourselves modestly, soberly, without gold and pearls. The next verse goes on to say we should instead array ourselves with good works. What a different kind of accessory store that would be. According to this scripture, My daughter and I should be spending more time looking for good works, purity, and godliness instead of earrings, purses, and shoes. I Peter 3 in the RSV gives the thought that we should be developing the "hidden person of the heart with the imperishable jewel of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious." I loved the wording of this verse. I want my daughter to be an imperishable jewel that God views as precious. How do I help make that happen? I need to take her shopping daily in the Word of God and help her pick out a gentle and quiet spirit, a spirit that represents inward beauty and not just outward adornment. I want her to be known by her inward,spiritual beauty not just her outward, physical beauty. I want her life to attract others to Christ. I believe this is the heart of what Paul was trying to convey in these scriptures. I do not only desire it for her but for myself as well. Maybe we should spend a little more time in God's accessory shop, the Bible ....and a little less time in Claire's!
2 Timothy 2:9-10 "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But(which becometh women professing godliness) with good works." KJV
Titus 2:10b "...that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things."KJV
Also Read I Peter 3:3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment