Friday, April 23, 2010

Dog Licking Devotion

"Why do you worship?" During study for my Sunday school lesson this week, this question was asked. I began researching what the meaning of the word worship is and found an interesting illustration I would like to share with you. "The New Strong's Dictionary of Bible Words" says that worship means "to prostrate oneself, to bow down, to fall down flat, to put religion into practice." I went a little further and looked at the Greek and Hebrew words and definitions, when I found this analogy. An example of true worship is like a dog licking his master's hand. What!?! As a non-dog slobber lover all I can say is this picture is not appealing to me in the least, but as I let it sink in, what a great word picture! Dogs lick their Master's hand in complete happiness and contentment, happy for any provision given them. They know their place in relation to their owner. They follow their master with total devotion going everywhere he leads, now THAT IS WORSHIP! Oh, that we would follow Christ with this same sense of devotion, to be totally convinced of His love and provision for our good. To live in happiness and contentment for our God-ordained place in the world so that others would take notice of our complete devotion to our master. I want my worship to be one that puts my selfish will under His divine one. I want to put my religion into practice.
Psalm 95:6-7 "Oh come, let us worship and bow down; Let us kneel before the Lord our Maker, For He is our God, And we are the people of His pasture, And the sheep of His hand."

1 comment:

  1. awesome! just started a study on worship, and ur post came up in my google search! love love it... check out my blog too! and stay intouch fellow "forward-pusher" in God.

    ReplyDelete