Thursday, March 11, 2010

Running into Clothing Racks

My son Trenton, who is four years old, has been described by many as "All Boy". Up and running from morning to night, he goes and goes like the energizer bunny. Yesterday, I took him into a clothing store to look at a few things. In this environment, I have learned to continually hold his hand because otherwise he tries to run off. Needless to say, he was not happy with me and began telling me all about it. It is then when we pass a rack of clothes he lunged forward throwing himself into them. He looks up at me and says as loud as he can, "Mom, why did you do that to me?" I immediately reply in disbelief, "I did not do that, you did!" We did this routine one more time before I realized exactly what he was doing. He wanted everyone in that store to think I was intentionally running him into racks of clothes because he did not like the circumstances he found himself in. We left the store shortly thereafter in order to deal with this rebellious activity. During the drive home, I was reflecting on this whole thing when I realized as ridiculous as this scene had been, I had done the exact same thing to my heavenly Father. Sometimes I rebelliously go the wrong way. I make the wrong decision to throw myself into the fire of selfish disobedience. I then want to immediately turn and blame God for the circumstances I find myself in. It is not His fault. It is mine. I choose not to be lead by His all knowing hand. Instead of acknowledging this, I want to cry out so that others may know God has let me down even when He has not. I wonder if His response is like mine to my son. One of disbelief, wondering how we could blame Him for something we choose for ourselves. Just food for thought today. Are you living out the consequences of a sinful choice and blaming God for the hardships you are now enduring? Believe me, when we see ourselves in this picture, it is a hard pill to swallow. Rebellion is not something to be taken lightly. If we do not deal with it, I assure you God will. Make sure to adjust your attitude and actions today to show an obedient child holding tight to the Father's loving hand.
I Samuel 15:23- "For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the Lord, He has also rejected you from being king."
Psalm 78:7-8- "That they may set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep His commandments; and may not be like their fathers, a stubborn and rebellious generation, a generation that did not set its heart aright and whose spirit was not faithful to God."
Jeremiah 5:23-25 "But this people has a defiant and rebellious heart; They have revolted and departed. They do not say in their heart, 'Let us now fear the Lord our God, who gives rain, both the former and the latter, in its season. He reserves for us the appointed weeks of harvest.' Your iniquities have turned these things away, And your sins have withheld good from you."

No comments:

Post a Comment